Overcoming Jealousy Can Seem Impossible...
...but it can be easy.
What is it?
Overcoming Jealousy is easier if you know what jealousy is.
Jealousy is an emotion that consists of negative thoughts and feelings, typically revolving around insecurity, fear, and anxiety over an anticipated loss of something or someone that is important to the you.
Different Kinds of Jealousy
- Romantic Jealousy - This kind of jealousy is usually when a partner is paying more attention to or spending more time to someone else. This does not have to be in a romantic fashion, the simple diversion on attention from the partner to anything else can bring on jealous feelings.
- Sibling Jealousy - Jealousy between siblings are very common. These feelings can be from a lack of attention from a specific member of the family.
- Platonic Jealousy - Platonic jealousy is usually seen in friendships. When a friend develops a fear of being replaced, having competition or being compared to another friend, this can breed jealousy.
- Workplace Jealousy - This is also a common one. These jealousy feelings occur usually between colleagues of the same position. The fear that one colleague is getting more attention from a higher up which will mean possibly more money and recognition, can spawn jealous feelings.
Ways of overcoming jealousy
- Stop Comparing - Comparing yourself to other people is something we all thought ourselves to do because we felt like it was a good way to improve ourselves. We equate competitiveness with comparing ourselves to people all the time.
It is understandable that we all want to better ourselves but comparing yourself to others will lead to destructive and nonconstructive thinking, We all need to stop comparing ourselves to others. We are all unique and are on our unique journeys. Wishing that you had the same things as another person is futile because you don't know what their lives are like.
- Love Yourself - Jealousy comes from feelings of not thinking you are good enough. The more you
the more you will not need to be jealous of anyone else. When you have a real appreciation for yourself, what another person has means nothing. You know yourself and you know your path. Oscar Wilde wrote "To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance".
- Get Back to Reality - When those jealous feelings come up, try to focus on whats happening now. Ask yourself some questions, are these feelings really warranted? why are you feeling this way? Do I really know the facts? Don't let your imagination get you in trouble. Try to see through the emotions to the reality of the matter. Overcoming jealousy can be as simple as seeing what is really going on.
- Talk to Someone - If it is relationship jealousy you are dealing with, ask a friend to give you their opinion on your mate. Tell them what is on your mind and what's bothering you and ask for their opinions. If it is a workplace situation ask your mate or friends. For a family thing ask your friends or the person you are in a relationship with. An outside opinion can really put some light on the situation and help you overcoming jealousy.
- Stop Worrying about "You" So much - Take the attention of you and focus on
helping someone else.
When you start thinking about others, your focus moves from your short comings to what is great about you. You feel good for helping someone and the person you are helping feels great.Which in turn combats the jealousy feeling because you give you give yourself worth.
- Focus on the Good Things in your Life - You were given many gifts in your life. No matter what your situation is, you have things that many people don't have. You can actively think about the great things that are in your life. It just takes a little time. Sit down and be grateful for your health. Some people didn't wake up this morning. You are lucky to even be here. So if you think about it like that, you can see how blessed you are.
In conclusion, there is nothing wrong with jealousy, it is a natural emotion. But when it becomes destructive to you and people around you, it has to go. You don't really need it because it comes from a place lacking. Overcoming jealousy is simply realizing that you are not lacking at all. So if you fear that someone else is receiving attention from someone else that you are not, you will realize that that it is probably not the case at all. Be happy people and love yourself.
After overcoming jealousy, move one to other self improvement issues.
Return home to Healthy Self Esteem